Author Topic: Cherry's subboard designing guide  (Read 16336 times)

Offline Cherry

• The Fruit
  • Honorable
  • She's your cherry pie
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: ILC
  • Ingame: Cherry|ILC
  • Squad: Cupcakes
Cherry's subboard designing guide
« on: 31 01, 2014, 02:48:17 pm »
Last updated: 31st of January, 2014

Heya reader,

as you might know, my name is Cherry. One of my passions is design and over the past few months people asked me how to make their subboard 'complete'. This can be making it look as one piece, a design that flows through out the entire board with things like a colour scheme and a recurring logo, as well as making sure that everything is in the right place.

And I know this can be a bit hard. So, I would like to help you organise it a bit. This guide is for everyone who plans to have a subboard in the future, or already has one but isn't quite sure how to style it.

• Before you get a subboard: design your topics. Find a free forum website that uses the same system as this one and practice. Once you're satisfied, request a board here.
  • Design your own stuff. You don't have to be a professional to design something. Besides that, it looks more neat if you can use the design in multiple places. For example, if you know which font you prefer and use, then you can use it in multiple things. Such as ranks, a logo, header etc.
  • Don't be afraid to experiment. No one will judge you if you spend a few hours on making random logo's or headers.
  • Pick a design which you prefer. At the end, you'll be the one who sees it every day so you have to be the one that likes it.
  • Make use of CIT2's BBcode. When used wisely you can make the most amazing subboard with it. Including the well known tabled one. But not only this, also you'll be able to add links to words and give them a different colour, as I just made them maroon. Didn't notice? Try clicking the maroon words for websites that will help you ;)
  • Use a program that fits you the most. This doesn't have to be photoshop. If you prefer paint, then use it. If you prefer an online editor use that. It's all up to you! As long as you're comfortable with it!
  • Know what you want before you start it. Create a wordweb and perhaps let group members fill it in as well. Ask them to vote for colours and write them down in the word web. Ask them what reminds them of their group and such. From here you can make a design that truly fits the purpose of your group.

Before you begin designing, there are a few things that you should do to keep track of what you're doing.

• I strongly recommend downloading Notepad ++. This is an advanced version of the regular notepad that you have on your computer. With this you can easily replace broken links, like when the flag website went down, and easily edit your roster instead of having to use 'CTRL F' on the forum. Besides that it has more functions like line counter and such.
  • Create a free test forum to practice with
  • Create a folder named after your group in your documents. This is so you can save all of your stuff in one place instead having it spread around. In this folder create subfolders. Personally I give every design its own name and then make a folder of it. In that folder I create subfolders such as 'Logo' where I save the PSD file, a big, medium and a small logo in PNG for future use. Or for example 'Topics back up' where I save back ups from the topics everyday in case something goes wrong.
  • Create a free Dropbox account to save your files virtually. Especially when you have a bad computer. I recommend backing your files up both online as on your computer as a dropbox account may get hacked or you can forget the password. And when that happens, you're kinda screwed.
  • Download a program like Photoshop or Photofiltre. Or anything similar that is free! Photofiltre used to be free but for some odd reason it's no longer. Though, googling things never hurt someone ;)! If you prefer a free one you can try GIMP. I personally don't like GIMP, but some people actually prefer it over Photoshop!
  • Make a notepad in your folder and name it "Important specifications". There write down which fonts you use, perhaps including a link to an example image. For example:
    Show content
    LOGO:
    Font 1: JennaSue - Size 120pt - 10 20 120
    Font 2: Times New Roman - size 45pt - 45 0 70

Creating an unique style isn't as hard as you think. Sure, you can look at other people their work and use it as an example, but don't take it too far.

I always start with writing down fonts I like and try them out. For example I write down "Header" and check which header really fits me, my group and my members.

Above are a few fonts that might have caught your eye. I've written their names below them. But of course, here are the links for people who'd like to have them.
Show content

There might be no font written above that you like. In that case you can try a free website like Dafont. It has many fonts that are free and good to use. Once you've mildly got an idea what you should do with fonts, you should pick a general style that most of your topics will be in. The most popular one at the moment is the table style as can be seen here. Many people think that this is hard to make, but I personally find it very easy! I always use this format

Code: [Select]
[img]LINK TO YOUR IMAGE HERE[/img]
OPTIONAL SLOGAN HERE
[hr]
[table]

[tr]
[td]
This is the left colomn
[/td]
[td]                                                        [/td]
[td]
This is the middle colomn!
[/td]
[td]                                                        [/td]
[td]
This is the right colomn!
[/td][/tr][/table]

Things for at the bottom which shouldn't be in a table

As you can see: the more tables, the more colomns! When you first press the table button above you'll have an odd format like:

[table ]
[tr ]
[td ][ /td]
[ /tr]
[ /table]

This can be extremely confusing when you don't know what to do. Basically, to get a colomn you keep the table and /table, these are what define the whole thing. Then to get your first colomn you write [ tr ], without spaced of course, and [ td ]. After this you fill your first colomn with whatever you want! When you want a second colomn, write [ /td ] and then
again for the new one. And then the list goes on. Of course, you may also copy it from my code and then replace the text with yours and if you prefer, add colomns or remove them ;)

But there are more things in life as tabled topics. Normal ones will do just fine as well. You can mix it up by using the BBcode buttons above. You can add subtexts or things on the
right.
Whatever you want! You're the artist here and you are the one who decides what should happen next.

To be updated
« Last Edit: 12 05, 2014, 03:03:59 pm by Cherry »

Offline BoDy

• Senior Community Member
  • Be like a Prism
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: BoDy
Re: Cherry's subboard designing guide
« Reply #1 on: 31 01, 2014, 02:55:16 pm »
This's epic :')
Ex - BoDy
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new"

If it was easy, everyone could do it.

Who would have known, how bitter sweet it would taste.

Offline Cherry

• The Fruit
  • Honorable
  • She's your cherry pie
« Reply #2 on: 31 01, 2014, 02:59:13 pm »

Offline Bl3nd

« Reply #3 on: 31 01, 2014, 03:00:50 pm »
So, I shouldn't take others opinion? :'(
Rolling swishers hittin' swishes

Offline Cherry

• The Fruit
  • Honorable
  • She's your cherry pie
« Reply #4 on: 31 01, 2014, 03:16:29 pm »
There are also some cool things that are used when making a roster or something, [abbr=text here]TEXT[/abbr] and the result is TEXT. (Move your mouse to the text). Add it if you want, but it's complicated.

I'm adding it later, this topic is faaaaaaaaaaaar from done ;)

Offline Kaka

• Rise above hate
  • Group: TheMyth
  • Ingame: Kaka
  • Squad: 404
« Reply #5 on: 31 01, 2014, 03:17:09 pm »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
"Even if you get oppressed, never give up. Shut them up with your progress"

Offline Cherry

• The Fruit
  • Honorable
  • She's your cherry pie
« Reply #6 on: 31 01, 2014, 03:21:11 pm »

Offline VazZ

• The Outrageous
  • Honorable
  • Ingame: GOVH-Vazz|ILC|
« Reply #7 on: 31 01, 2014, 03:21:52 pm »
gud guyd
Industry and Landwork Company

since 28.10.2013

“In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.”
- Konrad Adenauer

Are you group leader or founder? Rent GMP now

Offline Cherry

• The Fruit
  • Honorable
  • She's your cherry pie
« Reply #8 on: 31 01, 2014, 03:27:16 pm »
I feel so at home

Offline Kaka

• Rise above hate
  • Group: TheMyth
  • Ingame: Kaka
« Reply #9 on: 31 01, 2014, 03:28:32 pm »
I feel so at home
Nice signature hh
"Even if you get oppressed, never give up. Shut them up with your progress"

Offline Cherry

• The Fruit
  • Honorable
  • She's your cherry pie
« Reply #10 on: 31 01, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »
Nice signature hh

Hh, thanks

* Cherry flips hair

:-* :-*

Offline Cherry

• The Fruit
  • Honorable
  • She's your cherry pie
« Reply #11 on: 31 01, 2014, 03:35:58 pm »
Good job, I was looking for those fonts,  :-*.

:-* :-* Fonts are everything, tbh. When I lost my harddisk I lost thousands of fonts. Only have like 300 now  :fp:

Offline Pilovali

• im special
  • L4 Staff
  • IT guy
  • Group: KLM
  • Ingame: KLM-P|Pilovali
« Reply #12 on: 01 02, 2014, 11:53:58 am »
Epic topic, dear Cherry.
I don't like you profile pic because you na-aapt Kaka and Vazz.

IT guy | Introduction

Offline Pilovali

• im special
  • L4 Staff
  • IT guy
  • Group: KLM
  • Ingame: KLM-P|Pilovali
« Reply #13 on: 01 02, 2014, 01:23:34 pm »
I want a double cheeseburger, with medium french fries, large coke, and sour sausages.
+1

IT guy | Introduction

Offline Cherry

• The Fruit
  • Honorable
  • She's your cherry pie
« Reply #14 on: 01 02, 2014, 08:49:57 pm »