Author Topic: Removal of 'Extra air resistance', a frustrating road vehicle speed limit  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Danzy

• The Amplifier
  • L4 Staff
  • infernoob
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Hi.

Have you ever noticed how on certain roads inside Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas, despite your vehicle being tuned, or even fully tuned, you cannot accelerate nowhere near your vehicle's top speed on those specific roads? Well...

To explain: GTA has a world property enabled by default called 'Extra air resistance' which triggers this speed limit on certain specific roads, like the road next to All Saints hospital in Los Santos, Garver Bridge in San Fierro, and The Strip in Las Venturas, to name one from each of the cities.

This limit does not allow cars to accelerate and reach their potential top speed which is quite annoying especially when the road is so straight that you want to push your car to it's top speed, for the fun of it, or for the CnR aspect, or some other possible reason, I don't know.

The video I made below shows a very clear and obvious difference between this world property being switched on (First test drive) and the world property being switched off (Second test drive).

Show content
Even though this is a 1080p60FPS video, YouTube still makes it look like it came from 1999 because of compression, sorry about that.

As you can see, I performed the test drive on the exact same road, on the first run, the world property is turned on which triggers this speed limit, you can see the car is unable to surpass 220 km/h, meanwhile, on the last part of the video where I turn the car around and disable this world property, the car easily surpasses 220 km/h and even goes up to 285 km/h which is what I, and probably 95% of the player base likes, people like pushing their car to the limits and/or running from cops or chasing criminals depending on what you play.

I'm sure every side would appreciate this change and all it requires is one single line of code added to a client-side script file that triggers on resource start:
Code: Lua
  1. setWorldSpecialPropertyEnabled("extraairresistance", false)
We don't search for old songs, we search for old memories.

Offline Coke

• The Emperor
  • State Official
  • To the moon!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Bikers
  • Ingame: Coke
  • Squad: Vintage | CCC
Is this even related to the vehicles handling system? Because on some roads it's really hard to do a turn or handling the weel.
Retired Normal Player  6/13/2011
(LS) Devon5656(CG)(SD): You are a legend coke

Offline Babushka

• Regular Community Member
  • Babushito - Gobi
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: SAPD
  • Ingame: Babushka[SAPD]
  • Squad: The_Expendables
I have seen some speedrunners avoiding these places so that their vehicles accelerate faster.
Also, turning off this feature only takes a single line of code like u mentioned so I guess there's no problem in implementing this feature. However, if required, this can also be added as a preference in /settings and players can vote about whether to turn it on or off.
Voting Positive  :tick:

SAPD Officer | Ex Community Event Manager | ex. ICM | Ex CIT News Headlines Publisher | Regular Community Member

Offline MeD.

• 5th Leader
  • Outstanding Community Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
In case some of you still don't understand the concept, this is a much better video made by some of my friends in a whole different community, it is public on youtube:

Show content

(watch from 1 to 36, the difference is made visible by two players which is much easier to understand)

Offline Danzy

• The Amplifier
  • L4 Staff
  • infernoob
Is this even related to the vehicles handling system? Because on some roads it's really hard to do a turn or handling the weel.
It is unrelated to handling, since this feature does not even modify vehicle handling stats.
We don't search for old songs, we search for old memories.

Offline Senza

• Mr. Catface
  • Honorable
  • A cat
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
Always wanted to suggest that, but glad to see that you did. It would be nice to have the top speed available all the time, for me, I'd enjoy stunting and doing mad driving around, there should really not be any limitation except for vehicle's max speed, which isn't related in here. Positive.

Offline Coke

• The Emperor
  • State Official
  • To the moon!
  • Group: Bikers
  • Ingame: Coke
  • Squad: Vintage | CCC
As long as it does not affect something related to FPS I think this is good! I am positive!
Retired Normal Player  6/13/2011
(LS) Devon5656(CG)(SD): You are a legend coke

Offline MeD.

• 5th Leader
  • Outstanding Community Member
This would affect race records, so as long as it's excluded from /race I'm positive as well

Offline Senza

• Mr. Catface
  • Honorable
  • A cat
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
This would affect race records, so as long as it's excluded from /race I'm positive as well
It can't be excluded, so racers will have to reach new top times.

Offline sasheto

• Junior Community Member
  • Ingame: SashkO#R
  • Squad: Raven_Squad
It can't be excluded, so racers will have to reach new top times.
I as a player who mostly races in this server approve this message!
Positive.

Offline Brian

• Administrator
I though this was disabled already?

Show content

Offline Ana

• New Community Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Global_Army
  • Ingame: Ana[GLA-MW]
  • Squad: Merryweather
This would fullfill my need for speed, Positive.

Offline Mr.Pringles

• CIT Radio DJ
  • aka Abo-Warda | Sanchez Master
  • Group: The_ReNeGaDeS
  • Ingame: Mr.Pringles
  • Squad: The_Velentzas
Yea it is frustrating because the paths that got this air resistance are some good straight-line roads for drag racing and most of the air resistance is located on strategic roads, the air resistance makes driving at a high speed suck especially when you are running from cops or racing. I would like to see this removed asap. Positive
5thStreetSaints
The_ReNeGaDeS
CITRadio

Offline Hamza.

• New Community Member
  • Available for help.
  • Ingame: Hamza
Very glad to see this suggestion, and without a debate I would like to vote a big YES as seeing this added will improve the driving experiance and would be very fun to chill and just testing top speeds of cars and etc.
Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Offline Myth.

• Regular Community Member
  • One day you’ll thank yourself for never giving up.
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: Myth
I didn't know about that, the video that you sent was clear for me and maybe for everyone. To be honest, everyone wants to reach their maximum speed with any car they are using or for many cases that you can face during that moment. I think this is a worth and fair suggestion for all sides.
-Positive :tick:

"Self-confidence terrifies your enemies, no matter how strong they are."
"Believe you can and you're halfway there."
"No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again."