Author Topic: Is College is a key factor to your success?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline himself

• Donator L2
  • Ingame: himself
Is College is a key factor to your success?
« on: 20 04, 2021, 07:24:31 am »
Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well.
     So I want to discuss and hear from you guys whether you think that College is a key factor to a person's success in life or no.
I personally think that Colleges now days is business. What I mean by that is, colleges and universities don't really care if you learn or if you don't. They only care about your money. But that doesn't mean I am against college. I am currently in college but my purpose and reason is, basically we all know that all we get from it is a piece of paper no more than that.
This piece of paper is the catch, I believe that this piece of paper is a main factor of representing your self discipline to the employer after graduating. Now I wanna know what you guys think. (sharing your different thoughts and beliefs is really important because it opens up and possibly teach you something)

Here is some Articles that is related to the topic and might interest you.
only 51% of Americans see college as very important
Is College Necessary For Success?
Do You Have to Go to College to Be Successful?
p.s please be respectful to each other's opinions
it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Offline himself

• Donator L2
Re: Is College is a key factor to your success?
« Reply #1 on: 20 04, 2021, 10:24:45 am »
Success is a very wide word everyone has his own definition of success some want to be millionaires some just want a steady paycheck and live their lives like any normal person.

For me, success is creating a family and getting a pretty good-paying job. I don't aim to be on Forbes's top 10 richest lists but I just want a couple of things like a good car good house and the ability to travel once or twice a year and be able to support my family now in college a key factor for that? well yeah, kinda it is most high-paying jobs these days require a college degree of some sort so unless you are thinking of opening your own business (some businesses need certain degrees to open as well) college needs to be a key factor in your life.

But college as well can be not taken into consideration and actually succeed very well with your life. lemme tell you a story, I'm working a part-time job in a furniture store while I got to college and we have a CEO of all departments (all branches of the place I work with) this guy was just like me he was working a part-time job in this company and he decided to drop out of college after it was offered for him to head the branch he worked in and 20 years later he managed to climb up to CEO where I THINK he gains around 25-35k dollars a month so yeah college can be important and can be unimportant I believe the key factor in success is the person's hard work and determination and a bit of luck
your story is very interesting, it reminded me of my department manager. I work in a grocery store where most of the department managers (if not all) including the store manager himself are either, drop-outs or didn't go to college. the average annual pay for the the department manager is 75k annually and that's without their benefits and bonuses. So they probably average nearly a 100k a year. So imagine if that's what the department [managers make, how much is the store manager making.
but ask you said, happiness varies from a person to another. maybe some of those people aren't happy.
but thank you sharing that :)

Online Ptole

• The Belgian
  • L3 Staff
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Unit 27 of SAPD
  • Ingame: [CIT]Ptole
  • Squad: NeXuS Squad
« Reply #2 on: 20 04, 2021, 06:32:44 pm »
I'm personally studying Computer Science at college and I believe I can say that it truly is worth it. I have had programming experience, and made plenty of websites before joining college but the things I've learned here are undescribable. Having an extra diploma on your CV will surely increase your chances of getting a job and your knowledge will surely increase. (I believe college is different in Belgium than the US though, especially when looking at the costs which are almost fully covered by the government here)

Don't get me wrong though, for example I have a friend in real life who hasn't gone to college and has created his own business (online web shop which is having success) and has an accounting job at some company, he's earning plenty of money and is about to buy his 2nd car.

The question is, do you want to join college or not?
while ( !( succeed = try() ) );

Ptolemaeus
Learn how to code at w3schools.com

Offline himself

• Donator L2
« Reply #3 on: 20 04, 2021, 10:09:40 pm »
I'm personally studying Computer Science at college and I believe I can say that it truly is worth it. I have had programming experience, and made plenty of websites before joining college but the things I've learned here are undescribable. Having an extra diploma on your CV will surely increase your chances of getting a job and your knowledge will surely increase. (I believe college is different in Belgium than the US though, especially when looking at the costs which are almost fully covered by the government here)

Don't get me wrong though, for example I have a friend in real life who hasn't gone to college and has created his own business (online web shop which is having success) and has an accounting job at some company, he's earning plenty of money and is about to buy his 2nd car.

The question is, do you want to join college or not?
That's very interesting how college is covered by the government in Belgium. Here in the U.S. the costs for colleges is ridiculously expensive. Students loans are available for everybody but, there is a very high percentage of Americans who stay in debt pretty much most of their life because of it.

According to Investopedia "More than half of all American students now have to go into debt to get through college, and their average student loan debt topped $37,500 in 2020. Collectively, they owe nearly $1.6 trillion, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York."
Resource

Offline Justice

• Community Event Manager
  • GG | xC
  • Group: XCODE
  • Ingame: GG
« Reply #4 on: 28 04, 2021, 07:53:17 am »
Being able to graduate to college gives you the ability to work in a company, goverment, or any private/public companies and agencies all over the world. But it doesn't mean you're getting successful with it, Some entrepreneur didn't even try to finish college since they have been thinking about and trying all sorts of thing that involves business. Well all starts with a small business and you wouldn't notice that you're growing big. So, for me college doesn't define every people's success and who knows the meaning of success? every people in this world has their own goal in life, we have different aim, and perspective. So, every people's success is defined by him/herself if s/he finishes or reaches his/her goals and aim in his/her life. (That's a person success).

Wish we could turn back time to the gold DOPE days
01001001 01000001 01001101 01010100 01001000 01000101 01000010 01000101 01010011 01010100 00100001

Offline 9R

• Guard_Ghosts Founder
  • Regular Community Member
  • ProCriminal.
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Guard_Ghosts
  • Ingame: [GG]9R
« Reply #5 on: 28 04, 2021, 11:41:02 am »
For me, being a college is just my stepping stone to success meaning it is a part of my life where I need to learn to be responsible being alone. It is a experience where you learn things out and its a key factory for me since I mostly learned from college all the things that I do now. Soon, everyone's going to be successful in their own way. We all have different point of view in life and different things to do and have. Some can't go to college but they can be successful in their own ways.

Offline Suro

• Regular Community Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #6 on: 28 04, 2021, 11:51:26 am »
Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well.
     So I want to discuss and hear from you guys whether you think that College is a key factor to a person's success in life or no.
I personally think that Colleges now days is business. What I mean by that is, colleges and universities don't really care if you learn or if you don't. They only care about your money. But that doesn't mean I am against college. I am currently in college but my purpose and reason is, basically we all know that all we get from it is a piece of paper no more than that.
This piece of paper is the catch, I believe that this piece of paper is a main factor of representing your self discipline to the employer after graduating. Now I wanna know what you guys think. (sharing your different thoughts and beliefs is really important because it opens up and possibly teach you something)

Here is some Articles that is related to the topic and might interest you.
only 51% of Americans see college as very important
Is College Necessary For Success?
Do You Have to Go to College to Be Successful?
p.s please be respectful to each other's opinions

I think College is very important, overall education should be a person’s number one priority in life. Education won’t leave you in the streets starving nor will it make you filthy rich. I go to college, but I have a whole business up and running with my brother. Guess who work for us? People who went to college and have at least a bachelor’s degree. Now they earn more than minimum wage here in California but they still work for us. In conclusion do you need college to be successful? do you need college to survive in this world? yes indeed.

Offline Ths

• AvidaCompany Leader
  • Senior Community Member
  • IF I'M WRONG EDUCATE ME DON'T BELITTLE ME
    Years
  • Group: AvidaCompany
  • Ingame: Ths
« Reply #7 on: 04 05, 2021, 02:25:44 am »
College is not the only key to your success why? have you heard some of the current billionaire had the college degree? Well it's not, The real Success is your determination and dedication for something that you want to pursue. College can only makes you a good imagine image or high change to get accepted on the job. Yes, you're right with almost of the student doesn't finished the college but if they stop to continue their dreams nothing will happened to them because the real success here is your mentality.
« Last Edit: 04 05, 2021, 10:17:12 am by Ths »
Ths added as Filipino helper. (31.08.2020 GMs + MgD)
September 23th: @Ths Accepted for JCM. -- MaZika + Ptole
January 10th: @Ths  Accepted for RCM. -- Ptole + Kuldeep
June 3rd: @Ths Accepted for SCM. -- Ptole + FMMs
ᴬᶜᴱ ᴾᴴ

Online Ptole

• The Belgian
  • L3 Staff
  • Group: Unit 27 of SAPD
  • Ingame: [CIT]Ptole
  • Squad: NeXuS Squad
« Reply #8 on: 04 05, 2021, 09:17:14 am »
College is not the only key to your success why? have you heard some of the current billionaire had the college degree? Well it's not, The real Success is your determination and dedication for something that you want to pursue. College can only makes you a good imagine or high change to get accepted on the job. Yes, you're right with almost of the student doesn't finished the college but if they stop to continue their dreams nothing will happened to them because the real success here is your mentality.
Those are really extraordinary people who usually had lots of experience before joining college already. College isn't some institution which is just going to say "hey, you can do it!" and then leave you by yourself, they really teach you a lot of interesting stuff. I've already been taught new techniques, languages and stuff around IT (such as 'how to set up my own server?') at college and I'm only in my 2nd year.

College is really a key to get extra experience/knowledge in something. You can also get all this experience by yourself, by googling all that stuff or doing free courses, but I haven't seen anyone doing that yet.
« Last Edit: 04 05, 2021, 09:19:08 am by Ptole »
while ( !( succeed = try() ) );

Ptolemaeus
Learn how to code at w3schools.com

Offline himself

• Donator L2
« Reply #9 on: 05 05, 2021, 09:07:59 am »
Wrong, you look at billionaires and you say oh Mark Zuckerberg is a college dropout but he dropped out of HARVARD which already means he was hella smart and his college education wouldn't have given him more information and advancement that he couldn't get by himself if he was to go learn from the internet or by himself so that gives him an edge over anyone else.

Everyone wants to be successful and make a shitton of money live in a mansion and have 15 supercars in his garage. Let us be honest: 99% of players in this server will live a normal life like most people and a college degree can help people achieve higher-paying jobs. and the fact remains is don't tell people oh go drop out of college to follow your dreams and your hardworking mentality will get you where you want because that is bull crap unless you are extraordinary or have an idea that will change people's lives you most likely won't be as rich as Bill gate, mark Zuckerberg etc. life isn't all fun and games and hard work doesn't always pay off and reward you in the end. but yes you can be successful without a college degree but unless you have something that will change lives I say stick to college at least if your idea fails you have a backup plan
this is very interesting, I agree that college is important with no doubt. But its important for who? that's the question
College in my opinion is important for people who knows what they want to do with their life and have a career plan already. Unfortunately, a lot of people now days don't know what they want, and that's absolutely common and normal. that's why experiencing, working, getting internships plays a major factor in today's world. that type of jobs gives you a taste of what is it like to work in a specific field. You could be interested in learning a trade, which won't really require college. you could also be interested in being an entrepreneur and open your own business, which doesn't really rely on college as-well. You might want to get a medical or engineering job, which in that case you'll be required to go to college.
In short, I feel like the answer of this question depends on if the individual knows his/her passion/career or not!
« Last Edit: 05 05, 2021, 09:11:02 am by himself »

Offline domi

• New Community Member
  • Chilling somewhere in Europe
« Reply #10 on: 05 05, 2021, 10:22:12 am »
Not everyone should go to college. People with dyslexia, for example, should probably not go to college. It would be irresponsible to gamble with your parents' money if you have serious reading problems, meaning your chances of finishing college would be below average. 

Likewise, people who are already making serious money (e.g. famous soccer players) should probably not go to college. The opportunity cost of going to college is simply not worth it for them if they are already making millions.

Going to college is a good decision if your parents are wealthy enough to afford it. But if your family isn't rich enough but you still want to go to college, there should be good employment opportunities available for you, AND you should be mentally capable to work and study full time, because not everyone can do that.

if you have concentration problems, or if you have serious memory problems, or if you have serious reading problems, going to college is not a good option, unless someone can bankroll your expensive college adventures because you need more time than others to complete school-related work.

Not everyone is born to succeed in the current educational system, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The current educational system rewards rote learning, concentration on boring topics, and listening to authority.

These aren't bad things to have, and the system prepares people to be good employees and have secure income. But if you want to create something new, perhaps a new business idea, then those things simply don't help much with creativity.

Luckily there are lucrative opportunities for people who aren't good at school (trades, entrepreneurship, jobs with promotion potential) or who aren't well off (certifications, library and online learning). And some of these people end up being more successful than their counterparts who've graduated from college.

« Last Edit: 05 05, 2021, 11:53:06 am by domi »
Peace

Offline RedHeart

• King of Eagle_Squad
  • CIT News Publisher
  • CIT News- Publisher
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: RedHeart
« Reply #11 on: 05 05, 2021, 12:01:09 pm »
The first thing you should know is college is not school. They will not search to give you the information most time you should work to find the information you need. In my opinion, college is not the measure of whether you are good or bad. Nothing in this world should measure people and say to them you are bad or good. We all are good at the specific thing we are here in the world to find it and improve it. College is just a step you should take everything will help you from it and don't care about the other. Nowadays I see the thing that people search for is money not learning and this big problem from my point as money in the long term will be NOTHING. As everyone will own money and money will be useless. My point learns then you will get money and you will build a lot of money.
Founder of Eagle_Squad

If you need help PM me

Offline domi

• New Community Member
« Reply #12 on: 05 05, 2021, 12:04:07 pm »
There are less expensive ways to learn (library). Reading books is something people should do for the rest of their lives, and not just in college. Whoever limits his reading to college, he's probably doomed intellectually.
Peace

Offline domi

• New Community Member
« Reply #13 on: 05 05, 2021, 09:05:44 pm »
I can't talk about your country because I'm not familiar with its educational system. But most people in the world DO NOT live in your country. Instead, they live in "third-world countries", which you make fun of, and these  countries DO NOT have the support systems that you talk about. So even if everything you said was true, which is yet to be verified, it would only apply to your place of residence.

However, I can say a thing or two about the educational systems in the US and Great Britain. These are developed countries, aren't they?

People get student loans to finish their degrees there. But what if they struggle with the problems I spoke about in my previous post?

Would you advise them to go into debt? Surely if they fail to finish their degree, you aren't going to be helping them with paying back those loans.

We have to be realistic. Gambling with someone's life just because you think that "everyone should go to college" is naive and lacks moral sense. You aren't going to pay back anyone's loans if they fail to finish their degree.

And when someone has dyslexia or dyscalculia or whatever, it's likely they will drop out without a degree. It's expensive to educate them, because they need more time than others.

No, I'm not saying they should get a "dead-end" job. You're just showing your underlying assumptions by claiming that everyone gets a "dead-end job" if they don't have a college degree. Other people in this thread have already demonstrated that your assumption is wrong, so I don't have to do that myself.
« Last Edit: 05 05, 2021, 09:07:22 pm by domi »
Peace

Offline Juliano

• New Community Member
  • Group: Vagos MC
  • Ingame: Juliano
  • Squad: LSV
« Reply #14 on: 08 05, 2021, 05:32:21 pm »
Well, in my opinion the thing called college is mostly money trap for young people. Besides worldwide universities, most of the universities turned into profitable business nowadays. These colleges get more funds than actual firms. Colleges mostly turned into profit business. They keep yearly fees unbelievable high.
I would like to recommend you 'Thoughty2' video. I have same thoughts as well.

aka Nyks