Support > Resolved Questions

Question concerning MTA Nightly listed in 3 May CIT updates

(1/1)

Rusty:
I haven't logged in on CIT in quite a while, and I recently reinstalled Windows 10 after a botched automatic update screwed up my OS. I'd like to reinstall GTA:SA and MTA and check out some of the many awesome updates that have happened over the past month in CIT, but before I do, I'd like to know if it's safe to use the latest MTA Nightly builds now, or if everyone should still follow what's stated here:

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to respond.

Danzy:
If you're not a MTA dev, or contributor, don't install nightly builds at all, they're unstable and if you install a nightly which is unstable (like what happened recently), it's a mess and overall a waste of time to revert back. Just install the regular versions and you're good to go.

Rusty:
I guess I'll take your word for it, Danzy, but I'll note this: In years past, I've seen players having issues with various custom mapped objects being collisionless such as stairs for example where their characters would simply pass through them rather than walk up or down them and experienced the same things myself. I found that downloading and running the most recent Windows nightly installer would fix those issues when reconnecting and restarting the game wouldn't, and I'd recommended it to any player that had the same issue and it always seemed to work.

I don't know if issues like that still exist in CIT anymore as I haven't been very active in recent years, but I recommend the Staff team keep an eye out for reports of players abusing things like that if it's recommended that we don't use Nightly updates.

Danzy:

--- Quote from: Rusty on 03 06, 2021, 05:27:02 pm ---I guess I'll take your word for it, Danzy, but I'll note this: In years past, I've seen players having issues with various custom mapped objects being collisionless such as stairs for example where their characters would simply pass through them rather than walk up or down them and experienced the same things myself. I found that downloading and running the most recent Windows nightly installer would fix those issues when reconnecting and restarting the game wouldn't, and I'd recommended it to any player that had the same issue and it always seemed to work.

I don't know if issues like that still exist in CIT anymore as I haven't been very active in recent years, but I recommend the Staff team keep an eye out for reports of players abusing things like that if it's recommended that we don't use Nightly updates.

--- End quote ---
The negatives of nightly builds greatly outweigh the positives, because one night you might be playing fine, the next night you cannot even connect to the server. Obviously my example is a bit extreme but it's the general though process, stable versions are, well, stable, they're marked as stable for a reason.

The collisionless objects bug is still around just not as often, and it's the fault of MTA optimization.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version