Author Topic: Synchronize the earnlimit hour with the real time hour  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Ace

• State Official
  • Forum Lawyer
    YearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: Ace
  • Squad: Bloodmoon
Synchronize the earnlimit hour with the real time hour
« on: 15 12, 2021, 04:26:00 pm »
So as I am sure a lot of you are aware the earnlimit hour and the real life hour are not synchronized. The earnlimit also tends to creep away from the real life hour over time. This actually has some unintended consequences which I will go into now.
As an example today we had a double cash event between 2-3 pm. This means that instead of the usual 480k vip earnlimit we had 960k. Currently the earnlimits however are resetting at around 22 minutes past the real life hour.
This means that the earnlimit hours are 1:22-2:22, 2:22-3:22 ect..

In today's example this means that if you were working when the earn limit reset at 1:22  38 minutes without double cash on the earnlimit, then suddenly the double cash kicks in at 2pm and you only have 22 minutes to get an additional 480k before the 2:22 earnlimit reset. Then after the earnlimit resets you will have double cash for 38 minutes until 3pm at which point the double cash ends but the earnlimit does not reset until 3:22 This means that almost every civillian player will be overcapped on the earnlimit with nothing to do for almost half an hour because the double cash ended before the earnlimit ended.

This also causes an unintended consequence for high paying jobs in which you can hit the 960K earnlimit in the 22 minutes before the reset and in the 38 minutes after the reset making a total of 1,920,000  from the event rather than than the intended doubling to 960k. This also punishes people who are working jobs that cant hit the earnlimit within the 22 minutes before the reset. This can also have consequences for things like daily top 1 civ score where a group with 5 members on could increase their civ score by 10 million over the event which can completely destroy a different group's whole day of work for free and is completely unbalanced.

My suggestion to fix this is to synchronize the real life hour with the earnlimit hour. to fix the slow creeping issue you could resynchronise the clocks once a month to prevent this issue from happening again. This may require a server restart idk im not an expert on the backend. but let's say the sever goes down for 5 minutes on the 1st of ever month or something to fix this. I really don't think it would be a major issue to do especially if it was a known thing, maybe display an in game warning message.

This would also have the added benefit of people knowing when the earnlimit will reset when they're afk as they know it will be exactly on the hour not at some random time like 22 minutes past the hour.

Offline Coke

• The Emperor
  • State Official
  • To the moon!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Bikers
  • Ingame: Coke
  • Squad: Vintage | CCC
Re: Synchronize the earnlimit hour with the real time hour
« Reply #1 on: 16 12, 2021, 04:46:34 am »
I do understand with your suggestions but it is really hard to implement this, since we have clients and server side. If you can set your time back in your client side it means server will follow yours and you can cheat with that.
Retired Normal Player  6/13/2011
(LS) Devon5656(CG)(SD): You are a legend coke

Offline Impostor

• Regular Community Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: CitiZeNs
  • Ingame: Impostor
  • Squad: Hikers
« Reply #2 on: 16 12, 2021, 09:30:13 pm »
I do understand with your suggestions but it is really hard to implement this, since we have clients and server side. If you can set your time back in your client side it means server will follow yours and you can cheat with that.

I am pretty sure there are ways to have a server sided clock. Just like the factories won't reset if I change my date and time, I'd expect earnlimit to work similarly.

supporting
 :tick:

Offline Sleuth

• Senior Community Member
  • Dust
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: SWAT Team
« Reply #3 on: 17 12, 2021, 02:32:32 am »
This can also have consequences for things like daily top 1 civ score where a group with 5 members on could increase their civ score by 10 million over the event which can completely destroy a different group's whole day of work for free and is completely unbalanced.
This is a reason that's enough to excuse this suggestion to be implemented in-game even if at the cost of a 5 minute maintenance every month or something like you mentioned. but if the cost of doing this becomes too high and affecting of all players, or possibly creating an exploit, then I wouldn't support this.

Offline Danzy

• The Amplifier
  • L4 Staff
  • infernoob
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #4 on: 17 12, 2021, 09:01:01 pm »
This is great actually, just like factory reset time occurs at the start of a new hour, or lottery occurs every 21:00 UTC+1. Though I kind of don't know if this kind of thing is feasible sadly...

Server's computer time cannot be changed by any connected client so issues like this are avoidable, same way factories reset at the start of a new real life hour.
We don't search for old songs, we search for old memories.

Offline Coke

• The Emperor
  • State Official
  • To the moon!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Bikers
  • Ingame: Coke
  • Squad: Vintage | CCC
« Reply #5 on: 18 12, 2021, 01:57:51 am »
This is great actually, just like factory reset time occurs at the start of a new hour, or lottery occurs every 21:00 UTC+1. Though I kind of don't know if this kind of thing is feasible sadly...
Server's computer time cannot be changed by any connected client so issues like this are avoidable, same way factories reset at the start of a new real life hour.
If this is true, I support this suggestion, a great idea to implement.
Retired Normal Player  6/13/2011
(LS) Devon5656(CG)(SD): You are a legend coke

Offline Lycan

• New Community Member
    YearsYears
  • Ingame: MidoZ
« Reply #6 on: 18 12, 2021, 02:59:52 am »
Would be a good idea if there's a way to implement it.

Allah, there is no god except He, the Living, the Everlasting.
Let the actions speak louder than words.
Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChmUvul0cXwPLI7elJXWtSw

Offline Arran

• Administrator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: [CIT]Arran
« Reply #7 on: 18 12, 2021, 02:34:08 pm »
- Earn limit reset is now synchronised with real life time so it will reset when a new hour starts in real life. (Arran + Ace)
Proof You Are so Much More Than What You Realise
Authority is not truth. Truth is authority.