Author Topic: South Harmon Institute of Technology - Online Courses  (Read 15888 times)

Offline Arran

• Administrator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: [CIT]Arran
South Harmon Institute of Technology - Online Courses
« on: 09 10, 2013, 03:50:49 pm »

Although some people have benefited from playing on CIT, mainly to do with their English being improved, it's safe to say that most players educations are affected negatively, as playing on CIT is more fun than studying. Although it's not my responsibility, I saw a way in which we can actually improve your education and potentially even get you interested in new subjects and potentially change the course of your life.

So for the past 2 days I have been working on a qualifications script for CIT where first of all you sign up to a course and then you learn some stuff by reading the course information. Then you take the exam, the questions and answers are in all random order to make cheating hard and the time you get to answer each question is based on how long it would take to read the question and the 3 answers you can pick from.

These qualifications will contribute towards the development of your character as each course will have a certain benefit like doing an action faster (like healing), making more money or unlocking a new ability (like lock picking, bomb defusal, criminal investigation, etc)

Ideas for courses are easy enough to think of, I can think of one for almost every job, to name a few: police exam, crime scene investigation, first aid, bomb creation, bomb defusal, lock picking, car jacking, farming methods and techniques, mining, drug production, money printing, the list is ENDLESS!

Currently though there is only 1 course, "First Aid Level 1" which is only 10 questions. Any developer (and Brian) have access to add more courses. But we need YOU, to come up with course information and exam questions!

Click here to go to the page about how to submit a course.

For those who haven't seen it ingame yet (use /courses to open) this is how it looks at the moment:

Exam questions:
« Last Edit: 09 10, 2013, 04:48:24 pm by Arran »
Proof You Are so Much More Than What You Realise
Authority is not truth. Truth is authority.

Offline Hellsing

• Welcome to the jungle we've got fun and games !
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Task Force
  • Ingame: Hellsing[TF]
Re: South Harmon Institute of Technology - Online Courses
« Reply #1 on: 09 10, 2013, 04:02:43 pm »
Awesome. Thanks Arran you are working hard.

DeadlySehse.

« Reply #2 on: 09 10, 2013, 04:04:19 pm »
Wow, that is a wonderful script, thanks a lot Arran, will try to pass them all since I already read a book about those situations, Thanks again!

zola

« Reply #3 on: 09 10, 2013, 04:07:19 pm »
I really loved this new update, I'll do some basic courses of Information Technology and send to you. I already have some exams that I did on my colleged, would nice.

Grateful for this  :D

Cheers

danialdanish

« Reply #4 on: 09 10, 2013, 04:08:04 pm »
Wow, nice that awsome for all players you are the best Arran!!!  8)

Naruto69

« Reply #5 on: 09 10, 2013, 04:27:19 pm »
This is one of the most necessary things about CIT : Learning.

Thank you Arran. Now I can use my brain in This :/

superr

« Reply #6 on: 09 10, 2013, 05:04:51 pm »
Thank you Arran
We really estimate that

Offline Ex_TcR

• Computer Scientist
  • Outstanding Community Member
  • Law Representative
« Reply #7 on: 09 10, 2013, 05:12:15 pm »
Well, CIT is going at top, as we've seen a link on IRC, someone compared CIT with GTA 5 and even CIT is better than GTA5.

On other hand, we are getting benifits like English skills improved,Educations & Informations,typing speed etc. Well we don't know how to say thanks to you Arran, you are doing alot for us/community.

Its a place where we learn about Friendship,Teamwork,helping etc. Due to this server, we, from different countries, are playing together and are becoming friends. We Learned alot from this server. and yeah all the credit goes to you bro.

Thanks Alot bro, I hope everyone will learn something good from it. You're such a nice guy.
Ex. Honourable <3
Former L4. Staff | Groups Level Manager | Assistant Head Police Chief | Longest-term Active Ingame Supporter | Law Representative

Offline Claire

• Honorable
  • La vie est belle
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: Claire
« Reply #8 on: 09 10, 2013, 05:49:14 pm »
Well, I know the movie and all about S.H.I.T; Watched it like few months ago. Even though the execution of the movie was kinda shitty to me, but really.. The storyline was awesome, and how those college students created their own courses, was the next level of education. And it was a fun way to learn what they love.

And the fact that you make it that everyone able to submit their own course is also awesome.  ;D I'm looking forward to make my own about some things you mentioned in the first post.

« Last Edit: 09 10, 2013, 09:35:44 pm by Claire »
Polymathic | I/O Psychologist | Techie | Painter | Writer | Bibliophile | Old Soul | #nerd

"Diversity is the one true thing we all have in common. Celebrate it every day."

BRATTY69

« Reply #9 on: 09 10, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »
Kudos
Seeing this was certainly a pleasant surprise, along with all the positive responses.  Implemented with ingenuity, I trust it will further distinguish CIT.

I like the way you have integrated this learning into the medic job, and your plans to do the same for other RP jobs.  Might leveling-up include some testing with the cash bonus?  Or offer some continuing education for the L10's?

Knowledge is power!  Building mental connections is naturally stimulating.  We should all be teachers ; )  while keeping it fun.

Mulling this over, in terms of language acquisition, I suspect non-English speakers will use translators initially.  But the repetition of a few key phrases should help make the information "stick".  It will be interesting to see how this evolves... small doses of text in game are palatable, especially if there is a reward tied to it.
« Last Edit: 09 10, 2013, 05:56:06 pm by BRATTY »

Anderson.

« Reply #10 on: 09 10, 2013, 05:55:15 pm »
Excellent script Arran.This is awesome

Offline AM

« Reply #11 on: 09 10, 2013, 06:14:37 pm »
It's an awesome script .Thanks Arran for the hard working :D

Offline Daymian

• Senior Community Member
  • I chose Law.
  • Group: SWAT team
  • Ingame: Daymian*SWAT
  • Squad: Project X
« Reply #12 on: 09 10, 2013, 06:26:07 pm »
Very good idea, its a good way to learn a little bit more usefull stuff!

Got a suggestion though, I noticed that the age difference in CIT is pretty high. We have younger kids and some older people that play the game. Maybe some questions are to hard for the younger ones and are some questions to easy for the elder ones. So.. I know its a lot of work maybe but maybe you can make it that at the start it asks what Age catagorie you are.

some catogories:

(not sure if they are good :P)
  • 8-12 (i heared there played some kids this young so)
  • 13-18
  • 19+

so it would be a single asked question when you first open /courses. With this added we could make different courses that are more challenging to older people, because now smarter/older people can easily earn the money when the younger ones cant answer the questions well.

Say what you think about it  ^-^

- Daymian

Offline Arran

• Administrator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: [CIT]Arran
« Reply #13 on: 09 10, 2013, 06:35:06 pm »
Well, I think the only trouble will be for people who don't know English well. Children who play CIT will benefit most as they'll be learning things they probably don't know. Also your mind remembers things better at a younger age so it might not be that hard for them to pass the simple exams.

Though there will certainly be progressive exams, notice how the exam is called "First Aid Level 1" which confirms that we intend to have a Level 2, etc. Some exams can be very hard like 50 questions and passing those would be a huge achievement for you and you will benefit well ingame too.
Proof You Are so Much More Than What You Realise
Authority is not truth. Truth is authority.

Offline Petey

• Senior Community Member
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #14 on: 09 10, 2013, 06:38:32 pm »
WoW, Great Job Arran, Thanks You mate  ;).