Author Topic: Should citizens be allowed to own a firearm?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline OhhKarim

• Senior Community Member
  • Players of the Gold
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Team eXodus #1
  • Ingame: OhhKarim
  • Squad: NoAP4U
Should citizens be allowed to own a firearm?
« on: 11 02, 2021, 07:56:09 pm »
When someone robs your house, what do you do? You either try to fight back, or you follow their instructions and wait till they hopefully leave, so you can call the police. Regarding the first option, a robber usually carries a weapon, either a knife or a pistol. Either way, you would most likely not be able to win a fight against them with your bare hands. When the police arrives on scene, the robber is long gone and has already taken everything they wanted to steal, and may have already assaulted you as a way to make sure you will follow their instructions. But what if that could've been all avoided? If you owned a firearm, you would be able to change the scenario completely, preventing any monetary loss as well as physical violence upon you, by using your firearm to scare off the intruder. Or, if the intruder resorts to physical violence, you would be able to use the firearm to defend yourself against them.

Relying on police is especially ineffective when it comes to active shooters, it usually takes police 5 to 10 minutes (according to US statistics) to arrive on scene. Even 1 minute is already giving the shooter too much of a time because he will be able to kill several people in that time span. If there is even just one person carrying a firearm on scene, they will be able to handle the situation by taking down the shooter, before it escalates into even more harm. A shooter will also be less likely to open fire when he knows there are several people around him carrying guns, ready to shoot him down if he decides to randomly open fire on them.

Personally I do agree, I wish I would be able to carry a firearm to ensure my safety. If I ever get into an altercation with several big guys who are trying to rob me or any other crime, I will never stand a chance without a firearm, neither would basically anyone else. I believe it should be within my rights to defend myself with a weapon, I am not using it to harm any innocent person, just defending myself and defending other citizens, from scummy criminals. So do you believe citizens should be allowed to own a firearm? Of course there will be people using guns for the wrong reason, but anyone who has the intention to do harm, will do it with whatever tools he has anyways, so that's not a justification to ban guns. No to mention that criminals will get guns illegally anyways, so those laws just prevent good citizens from defending themself.

Offline DeathWish

• Regular Community Member
  • All limitations are self-imposed.
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Ineffables
  • Ingame: DeathWish
  • Squad: Cupcakes
Re: Should citizens be allowed to own a firearm?
« Reply #1 on: 11 02, 2021, 08:19:52 pm »
No.

Making firearms easily accessible to citizens means it is also easily accessible to criminals and mentally deranged people who go and shoot up a place because they feel sad. which countries do you suppose to have the highest amount of gun violence? the ones who have guns easily accessible to everyone proof and source, why don't you see Israel here? because they have strict rules to having guns and you have to be certified to get a firearm and it isn't an easy process only a handful of people have access to firearms and the result? Israel has 7.3 gun-related deaths per 100 inhabitants (source) it shows that having citizens being easy to access firearms is only bad

Offline Nikos

• The Helper & Bikers Leader
  • Honorable
  • Perfected noob
  • Group: Bikers
  • Ingame: Nikos
  • Squad: NoodleLovers
« Reply #2 on: 11 02, 2021, 09:03:21 pm »
Is this really a debate? Because I just imagine how the world would be if everyone had a gun and it sounds like an extremely stupid idea for countless reasons.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Offline OhhKarim

• Players of the Gold
« Reply #3 on: 11 02, 2021, 09:19:44 pm »
Making firearms easily accessible to citizens means it is also easily accessible to criminals and mentally deranged people who go and shoot up a place because they feel sad.

How do roughly 400,000 people die each year through homicides, when most countries in the world do not allow easy access to guns to citizens? Because criminals don't care about the law and they buy guns illegally. Want to know a fun fact? The majority of crimes done with weapons, are done by weapons that are illegally obtained.

So instead of having:

Good citizen + legal weapon VS criminal + illegal weapon

We have:

Good citizen without weapon VS criminal + illegal weapon

Which means a higher chance of the good citizen getting killed.

Regional studies have found that a higher share of criminals did not legally possess a gun when they committed their crimes.

Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh teamed up with the Pittsburgh Police Department in 2016 to look at almost 900 firearms recovered from crime scenes in 2008. They found the criminals connected to these firearms did not legally possess them in 80 percent of the cases.

A study from the University of Chicago looked at 99 inmates at the Cook County Jail in Chicago in 2015. It found only about 3 percent of inmates who used a gun bought it at a gun store. Researchers did not track the share of inmates who purchased a gun legally through other means.

which countries do you suppose to have the highest amount of gun violence? the ones who have guns easily accessible to everyone proof

You do realize that there are plenty of countries that have a higher number of weapons owned by civilians per 100 people, yet they have lower murder rates?

why don't you see Israel here?

Because they prefer to kill other people, such as Palestinians.

because they have strict rules to having guns and you have to be certified to get a firearm and it isn't an easy process only a handful of people have access to firearms and the result? Israel has 7.3 gun-related deaths per 100 inhabitants (source) it shows that having citizens being easy to access firearms is only bad

Yet there's plenty of countries where it's hard to legally obtain a weapon, and the murder rates are sky high. So your statement is completely contradicted.

Is this really a debate? Because I just imagine how the world would be if everyone had a gun and it sounds like an extremely stupid idea for countless reasons.

Yes it's a debate, if everyone had weapons, your question is? If everyone had weapons, scummy criminals would think twice before committing their crimes, knowing they could be killed in self defense at any moment.

Offline Arran

• Administrator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: [CIT]Arran
« Reply #4 on: 12 02, 2021, 10:21:07 am »
The question should be: Should governments be allowed to kill and imprison it's citizens if that government doesn't want it's citizens to be able to defend themselves?

Proof You Are so Much More Than What You Realise
Authority is not truth. Truth is authority.

Offline Nikos

• Honorable
  • Perfected noob
« Reply #5 on: 12 02, 2021, 10:58:40 am »
The question should be: Should governments be allowed to kill and imprison it's citizens if that government doesn't want it's citizens to be able to defend themselves?
That's a rather weird question because it assumes that every imprison to a citizen is because he tried to protect himself which isn't the case.

Allowing guns to every single citizen just makes the case way worse. The solution isn't to give more guns to people to protect themselves, the solution is to take stricter measures against illegal weaponry.
Also the "I will just kill the robber" solution is just so stupid. You can't just take someone's life because he robs you, holy shit do we live in middle ages or smth? Just let him take whatever he wants from your house and call the police. There are several coverages that can even replace every single item that has been stolen from you.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Offline DeathWish

« Reply #6 on: 12 02, 2021, 11:34:16 am »
How do roughly 400,000 people die each year through homicides, when most countries in the world do not allow easy access to guns to citizens?

Maybe because a certain country is hogging those numbers and what do you expect? yes this country gives easy access to people

You do realize that there are plenty of countries that have a higher number of weapons owned by civilians per 100 people, yet they have lower murder rates?

your graph shows that because America has more access to guns there are more gun-related deaths. Thanks for proving my point  :fp:

the only country which has more gun violence in it is Brazil and Brazil is a very poor country and filled with mafias drugs militias and what not so it shouldn't be taken into consideration don't give me a link that shows that the only country that has more gun violence than America is a 3rd world country

Because they prefer to kill other people, such as Palestinians.

read this please don't act like you are all innocent and again this isn't the topic to discuss

Yet there's plenty of countries where it's hard to legally obtain a weapon, and the murder rates are sky high. So your statement is completely contradicted.

Show me one 1st world country that has more gun violence-related crimes than America (don't show me countries that have easy access to guns please) other than that your statement is a lie and its only empty talk from someone who didn't do research

Show content

Are you actually taking the piss? there is a set of rules put by every country and THE ONLY WAY to get in prison is if you break them and considering you vote that means you agree to those rules same as in your server or am I wrong? Citizens who do protect themselves are protected by law to a certain point killing someone still means you killed someone but you aren't treated the same in Israeli courts you can go to jail if you killed someone even if he tried breaking into your house but they do get a lighter sentence because YOU KILLED SOMEONE

Offline OhhKarim

• Players of the Gold
« Reply #7 on: 12 02, 2021, 06:21:32 pm »
Allowing guns to every single citizen just makes the case way worse. The solution isn't to give more guns to people to protect themselves, the solution is to take stricter measures against illegal weaponry.

Yet on another topic you said, even the strictest punishment "death penalty" doesn't reduce crime. So how does any other "stricter measurement" ensure less illegal weaponry? It doesn't. And those weapons are already created and under the hands of criminals, you're not gonna get rid of it. The best thing to do is give weapons to the good citizens so they can defend theirself.

Also the "I will just kill the robber" solution is just so stupid. You can't just take someone's life because he robs you, holy shit do we live in middle ages or smth? Just let him take whatever he wants from your house and call the police. There are several coverages that can even replace every single item that has been stolen from you.

Yes it's a good solution, and thankfully it's within our rights.

However you'd be more safe to use a gun to kill the scumbag, than to use a kitchen knife, as the criminal would have time to escape.

Just let him take whatever he wants from your house and call the police

And back to this dumb statement, what's next? Let someone rape whoever he wants, and call the police later? I wouldn't be surprised if you think like that, considering the amount of dumb stuff you've said so far.

Offline OhhKarim

• Players of the Gold
« Reply #8 on: 12 02, 2021, 06:47:10 pm »

Personally I do believe we need to have a police system, but give them much less power, there's too many dumb laws that people shouldn't be punished for. People can handle things on their own, like for example there was on the news today here in Egypt that a 15 year old guy killed his step-father with a knife because he was continuously abusing his mother, and on that day, the step-father was punching the mother so much in the face that she was bleeding, and he said he will kill her, so the 15 year old guy did what was right, and killed the scumbag. In such case, there should be no police involved, the case is handled by a civilian, but if you need help (like for example a woman was raped and she couldn't fight back) then the police find that criminal and put him on death row. Btw they ruled it out as self-defense.

your graph shows that because America has more access to guns there are more gun-related deaths. Thanks for proving my point  :fp:

Think twice before replying.

USA population: 328.2 million (2019)
Canada population: 37.59 million (2019)

The USA has 8.7x more people.

Estimated guns owned per 100 people in USA: 120.5
Estimated guns owned per 100 people in Canada: 34.7

The USA has 3.4x more guns owned per 100 people.

the only country which has more gun violence in it is Brazil and Brazil is a very poor country and filled with mafias drugs militias and what not so it shouldn't be taken into consideration don't give me a link that shows that the only country that has more gun violence than America is a 3rd world country

Hahaha you can't just change your statement by excluding several countries just because they don't fit within your narrative, hypocrite, nice try.

read this please don't act like you are all innocent and again this isn't the topic to discuss

That's nothing compared to the chaos caused by israel worldwide.

Show me one 1st world country that has more gun violence-related crimes than America (don't show me countries that have easy access to guns please) other than that your statement is a lie and its only empty talk from someone who didn't do research

You keep ignoring the fact that the USA is one of the most populated countries in the world, and I'm pretty sure it's the most populated 1st world country.

Are you actually taking the piss? there is a set of rules put by every country and THE ONLY WAY to get in prison is if you break them and considering you vote that means you agree to those rules same as in your server or am I wrong? Citizens who do protect themselves are protected by law to a certain point killing someone still means you killed someone but you aren't treated the same in Israeli courts you can go to jail if you killed someone even if he tried breaking into your house but they do get a lighter sentence because YOU KILLED SOMEONE

Killed "someone", no killed "a stupid criminal" who deserved it, and that's why it's actually within your rights.

https://www.jpost.com/israel/new-law-allows-shooting-at-burglars

Unlike earlier restrictions on criminal liability in cases of self-defense, under the new law a property owner does not have to face "a real danger to his own or another person's life, freedom, bodily welfare or property" to justify shooting.

Can't find anything regarding the removal of that law, let me know if it changed, if not, then it's absolutely within your rights to kill a robber in israel as claimed in the link I posted.
« Last Edit: 12 02, 2021, 06:50:44 pm by OhhKarim »

Offline Nikos

• Honorable
  • Perfected noob
« Reply #9 on: 12 02, 2021, 07:57:28 pm »
And back to this dumb statement, what's next? Let someone rape whoever he wants, and call the police later? I wouldn't be surprised if you think like that, considering the amount of dumb stuff you've said so far.
Rather stupid comparison since losing objects is just way different than being raped. Even in huge companies staff is ordered to follow the robber's requests, simply because life is invaluable while objects are not. Giving guns to people just to protect their property will just make everything worse. Robbers will not hesitate to kill someone if they know their lifes will be in danger while attempting the robbery. Life is not a Chuck Norris movie, to shoot around with guns. The missusage of them proven by people who have extremely harmful opinions like yours.

Offline Avices

• I will quarantine you for more than 2 weeks
    YearsYearsYears
  • Squad: Sons of Silence
« Reply #10 on: 12 02, 2021, 08:41:48 pm »
In my opinion, there should be no regulations allowing weapons to be used in self-defense, the use of weapons first of all can endanger others. Moreover, the feeling that everyone is armed with a weapon in people seeing this life, people do not trust each other very much, between people and people in society, living is not always alert and living by trust.

As for being able to bring tools that are enough to protect yourself but not cause fatal dangers such as knives, scissors, guns, pepper spray ... I can still carry them in case I am in danger. dangerous.
💫
March 1st: @Avices Accepted for RCM. -- Ptole + Kuldeep
December 12th: Avices -Accepted for JCM.-- Ptole + Kuldeep
Added skins ID 147 and ID 295 to 'Police Detective (Brian + Avices)

Offline DeathWish

« Reply #11 on: 13 02, 2021, 12:00:22 am »
Think twice before replying.

USA population: 328.2 million (2019)
Canada population: 37.59 million (2019)

The USA has 8.7x more people.

Estimated guns owned per 100 people in USA: 120.5
Estimated guns owned per 100 people in Canada: 34.7

The USA has 3.4x more guns owned per 100 people.

I really think you should rethink your debate strategy because what you are saying here for every 100 people in the USA, there are 120 guns that mean some people have more than 1 gun. While in Canada for every 100 people there are 35 guns that means a max number of 35 people out of 100 has access to guns shows that gun regulations work and fewer people have access to guns

but let us look at numbers the highest cause of death in Canada is suicide but do you know this is still way below firearms-related deaths in the USA? according to this article this actively shows that the USA giving easy access to guns is a problem and doing more harm than good

Hahaha you can't just change your statement by excluding several countries just because they don't fit within your narrative, hypocrite, nice try.

I have 1 question for you. In your mind do you think a country like Brazil with a GDP per capita of 8,717.19 USD (2019) can enforce gun laws like Canada which has 46,194.73 USD (2019) GDP per capita? how can you compare both countries even why don't you compare the USA with countries with similar GDP? which is 65,297.52 USD (2019) BTW

You keep ignoring the fact that the USA is one of the most populated countries in the world, and I'm pretty sure it's the most populated 1st world country.
So that's your defense? more people more crimes? that's just weak since we are looking at the numbers per 100k or per 10k or 100 so that means they are on equal grounds when being compared

Killed "someone", no killed "a stupid criminal" who deserved it, and that's why it's actually within your rights.
https://www.jpost.com/israel/new-law-allows-shooting-at-burglars

Can't find anything regarding the removal of that law, let me know if it changed, if not, then it's absolutely within your rights to kill a robber in israel as claimed in the link I posted.

Jerusalem Post is a backward ass news station with fake news at best
this law has been going back and forth in our kennest and has not yet been decided on

That's nothing compared to the chaos caused by israel worldwide.

I'll be happy to disprove this somewhere else

Offline Denos

• Retired CIT Staff & Head State Official
  • Former Head State Official (2016-2020)
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: TSF
  • Ingame: Denos
« Reply #12 on: 13 02, 2021, 04:53:11 am »
Yes, we should be able to, only if we are legal to own one. No matter how many people have guns, criminals will get them no matter what. So taking them away will just hurt citizens. Majority of criminals don't obtain them legally, so not like they will follow gun laws. I don't know about you, but I rather have firearm to defend myself, then be disarmed with an armed robber, at mercy of how quick cops can come.
I stand with Goku & Coolit. Gave years of their lives to keep CIT active and happy. Screwed over and unjustly kicked.

Offline OhhKarim

• Players of the Gold
« Reply #13 on: 13 02, 2021, 08:30:04 am »
Rather stupid comparison since losing objects is just way different than being raped.

So what are you going to do when 3 big guys hold one of your female relatives hostige and start to sexually assault her? You can't do shit without a gun. "Let them finish what they want till cops arrive"?

Robbers will not hesitate to kill someone if they know their lifes will be in danger while attempting the robbery.

They already don't hesitate, having a gun allows you to kill them before they get a chance to hurt you. Guns allow everyone to defend their self, when they wouldn't be able to do so without the gun. For example a woman, and small guys do not stand a chance against big guys.

This woman was able to defend herself against, not one guy, two 2 guys, but 3 guys. Why? Because she had a gun.

Life is not a Chuck Norris movie, to shoot around with guns. The missusage of them proven by people who have extremely harmful opinions like yours.

Life is not a disney movie, just because you haven't experienced such life-threatening scenarios does not mean it is not happening.

As for being able to bring tools that are enough to protect yourself but not cause fatal dangers such as knives, scissors, guns, pepper spray ... I can still carry them in case I am in danger. dangerous.

Those tools are useless when the criminal has a weapon, once again proving why having a gun is necessary. And in some countries the rules are so strict that carrying a knife isn't even allowed either. So now what? Use fists against someone who has a pistol? And who the hell carries a scissors, what are you going to do anyways with it? Cut his nails? This isn't a salon. Pepper spray is also useless because people with guns can shoot you from a distance whenever they see that you have something in your hands, way out of your reach.

I really think you should rethink your debate strategy because what you are saying here for every 100 people in the USA, there are 120 guns that mean some people have more than 1 gun. While in Canada for every 100 people there are 35 guns that means a max number of 35 people out of 100 has access to guns shows that gun regulations work and fewer people have access to guns

Lol man you still cannot see the obvious fact, there are way more weapons in the USA yet the ratio of gun deaths to weapons owned is lower than most countries, as shown in the graph posted by you.

but let us look at numbers the highest cause of death in Canada is suicide but do you know this is still way below firearms-related deaths in the USA? according to this article this actively shows that the USA giving easy access to guns is a problem and doing more harm than good

You really thought you got me there, didn't you? You do realize that in the USA the suicide deaths are higher than the fire-arms related deaths? The suicide deaths are around 47,500 meanwhile the homicides are around 15,000. Gun related deaths are not even near the top causes of deaths in the USA.

Heart disease: 659,041
Cancer: 599,601
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 173,040
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 156,979
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 150,005
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,499
Diabetes: 87,647
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 51,565
Influenza and pneumonia: 49,783
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,511

I have 1 question for you. In your mind do you think a country like Brazil with a GDP per capita of 8,717.19 USD (2019) can enforce gun laws like Canada which has 46,194.73 USD (2019) GDP per capita? how can you compare both countries even why don't you compare the USA with countries with similar GDP? which is 65,297.52 USD (2019)

Your arguments are so easy to be debunked. Lets take a look at my own country. Egypt. Now lets compare to show how useless your argument is.

Brazil/GDP per capita: 8,717.19 USD (2019)
Egypt/GDP per capita: 3,019.21 USD (2019)

Brazil's GDP per capita is 2.88x higher.

Yet Brazil's homicide rates are way higher.

Waiting for your next excuse.

BTW
So that's your defense? more people more crimes? that's just weak since we are looking at the numbers per 100k or per 10k or 100 so that means they are on equal grounds when being compared

Ok lets look homicide numbers per 100k people.

Brazil:

USA:

5.5x higher in Brazil per 100k people.

Jerusalem Post is a backward ass news station with fake news at best
this law has been going back and forth in our kennest and has not yet been decided on

I'll be happy to disprove this somewhere else

Then provide me evidence that the law has been removed in stead of just making a statement, because I cannot find such source, until then, your argument has been proven to be false. I only found sources saying that the law is existing since like 2008 or something, that allows people to kill robbers in self defense even if they aren't under immense danger.
« Last Edit: 13 02, 2021, 08:32:18 am by OhhKarim »

Offline Arran

• Administrator
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Ingame: [CIT]Arran
« Reply #14 on: 13 02, 2021, 11:33:23 am »

You actually think "democratic countries" are actually democracies? You got some learning to do about how the world really works then. If a countries laws actually represented what people wanted, they wouldn't all be different. America is the perfect example as they're one country but have hugely different laws in different states and there's even garbage law makers below that like counties or even towns I've heard some shit like it being illegal to grow vegetables in your front garden in a certain town

Another good example is the UK which has one of the most undemocratic democracies in the world, because our "democratic" voting system is the least democratic, democratic voting system there is called first past the post where the country is divided up into seats and whoever gets the most votes in that seat wins the seat which means that if there were 3 political parties and in every single seat the results were:

Yellow party: 33%
Pink party: 31%
Blue party: 36%

Blue party would win every single seat in parliament. In a proportional representation system where the votes are all added up and then parties are given the seats they deserve then their seats to votes would match up nearly perfectly and yellow and pink party voters would get the representation they deserve instead of none.

Because this system benefits the 2 main parties and these people are corrupt scum who don't want democracy, will never support a proportional representation system. The UK is not democratic. And no WTF you talking about "you vote that means you agree to those rules" no I fucking don't..? Oh right so because North Koreans are all forced to vote for Kim Jong Un they agree to be completely enslaved and therefore Kim Jong Un is totally entitled to enslave, torture and murder millions of people? :fp:
Proof You Are so Much More Than What You Realise
Authority is not truth. Truth is authority.