Author Topic: Should citizens be allowed to own a firearm?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Dimit

• USNS Leader
  • USHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: U.S.Navy SEALs
  • Ingame: ADM-Dimit#USNS
Re: Should citizens be allowed to own a firearm?
« Reply #15 on: 13 02, 2021, 01:10:43 pm »
Show content
So what are you going to do when 3 big guys hold one of your female relatives hostige and start to sexually assault her? You can't do shit without a gun. "Let them finish what they want till cops arrive"?

They already don't hesitate, having a gun allows you to kill them before they get a chance to hurt you. Guns allow everyone to defend their self, when they wouldn't be able to do so without the gun. For example a woman, and small guys do not stand a chance against big guys.

This woman was able to defend herself against, not one guy, two 2 guys, but 3 guys. Why? Because she had a gun.

Life is not a disney movie, just because you haven't experienced such life-threatening scenarios does not mean it is not happening.

Those tools are useless when the criminal has a weapon, once again proving why having a gun is necessary. And in some countries the rules are so strict that carrying a knife isn't even allowed either. So now what? Use fists against someone who has a pistol? And who the hell carries a scissors, what are you going to do anyways with it? Cut his nails? This isn't a salon. Pepper spray is also useless because people with guns can shoot you from a distance whenever they see that you have something in your hands, way out of your reach.

Lol man you still cannot see the obvious fact, there are way more weapons in the USA yet the ratio of gun deaths to weapons owned is lower than most countries, as shown in the graph posted by you.

You really thought you got me there, didn't you? You do realize that in the USA the suicide deaths are higher than the fire-arms related deaths? The suicide deaths are around 47,500 meanwhile the homicides are around 15,000. Gun related deaths are not even near the top causes of deaths in the USA.

Your arguments are so easy to be debunked. Lets take a look at my own country. Egypt. Now lets compare to show how useless your argument is.

Brazil/GDP per capita: 8,717.19 USD (2019)
Egypt/GDP per capita: 3,019.21 USD (2019)

Brazil's GDP per capita is 2.88x higher.

Yet Brazil's homicide rates are way higher.

Waiting for your next excuse.

Ok lets look homicide numbers per 100k people.

Brazil:

USA:

5.5x higher in Brazil per 100k people.

Then provide me evidence that the law has been removed in stead of just making a statement, because I cannot find such source, until then, your argument has been proven to be false. I only found sources saying that the law is existing since like 2008 or something, that allows people to kill robbers in self defense even if they aren't under immense danger.

It doesnt seem like you know much about the subject, yet you go around, spam random numbers which you dont seem to really understand and then you keep yelling stuff like "hypocrite" at everyone who is posting here.
The following pictures are enough to debunk your poor attempt of taking numbers out of context in various different ways to make it look like there is no correlation between gun ownership and gun crime, even the difference between gun violence and homicide rates seems to be unknown to you
The images below are self explanatory and dont even need any further comments by me

« Last Edit: 13 02, 2021, 01:13:43 pm by Dimit »
There's no god, no saviour, no paradise and no life beyond. Our existence is limited. Nothing will save us from death.  Use your time on earth wisely.
Be kind to others, share your wealth - donate to the poor, protect the environment, use your opportunity every day to make earth a better place.
Currently 795 million humans have insufficent access to food.
You can start helping today

Offline OhhKarim

• Senior Community Member
  • Players of the Gold
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Team eXodus #1
  • Ingame: OhhKarim
  • Squad: NoAP4U
« Reply #16 on: 13 02, 2021, 02:38:56 pm »
Here comes Dimit again who always thinks he can "gotcha!" people, but nice try, lets see.

It doesnt seem like you know much about the subject, yet you go around, spam random numbers which you dont seem to really understand and then you keep yelling stuff like "hypocrite" at everyone who is posting here.
The following pictures are enough to debunk your poor attempt of taking numbers out of context in various different ways to make it look like there is no correlation between gun ownership and gun crime, even the difference between gun violence and homicide rates seems to be unknown to you
The images below are self explanatory and dont even need any further comments by me

Show content

Just because you do not understand the numbers, doesn't mean everyone is the same as you. First lets not ignore the blatant fact that you've specifically posted graphs of "high income countries" to try to fit your narrative, because I had already debunked the GDP argument above. Moving on, since you want to talk about high income countries, lets take the example of the Czech Republic, which is a country in Europe which has very relaxed weapon laws. Your graph is completely useless because it has data from 2010, so lets take a look at a more recent data, from 2017.

They have a homicide rate of 0.60 per 100k which is basically on par with other European countries such as the Netherlands (0.59 rate) regardless of the fact that the Netherlands has GDP per capita of approximately 52.3k, which is more than double that of the Czech Republic, being 23.4k approximately. Not to mention the homicide rate of the Czech Republic is lower than several other high income countries, let me state a few:

Germany 0.98 homicide rate
Spain 0.62 homicide rate
Denmark 1.01 homicide rate
Sweden 1.08 homicide rate

Switzerland is another good example similar to the Czech Republic, with their homicide rate also equal to the Netherlands, at 0.59 as well. Let me give one more example, Cyprus, also a high income country. They have a homicide rate of 1.26, which is less than israel at 1.36, Finland at 1.63 and Belgium at 1.70 and the list goes on and on, but no need for me to post more statistics, you can check the facts here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_of_gun_laws_by_nation

Lastly, your "gun-related to non-gun related" graph just proves my previous statement, being, that people who have the intention to murder someone, will do it with whatever tool they have. So therefore, like I said before, allowing the good guys to own guns will allow them to stand a better chance against the bad guys.

Nice try & waiting for any new argument, if you can even come up with any.

Offline Dimit

• USNS Leader
  • USHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #17 on: 13 02, 2021, 03:55:08 pm »
Show content
Here comes Dimit again who always thinks he can "gotcha!" people, but nice try, lets see.

Just because you do not understand the numbers, doesn't mean everyone is the same as you. First lets not ignore the blatant fact that you've specifically posted graphs of "high income countries" to try to fit your narrative, because I had already debunked the GDP argument above. Moving on, since you want to talk about high income countries, lets take the example of the Czech Republic, which is a country in Europe which has very relaxed weapon laws. Your graph is completely useless because it has data from 2010, so lets take a look at a more recent data, from 2017.

They have a homicide rate of 0.60 per 100k which is basically on par with other European countries such as the Netherlands (0.59 rate) regardless of the fact that the Netherlands has GDP per capita of approximately 52.3k, which is more than double that of the Czech Republic, being 23.4k approximately. Not to mention the homicide rate of the Czech Republic is lower than several other high income countries, let me state a few:

Germany 0.98 homicide rate
Spain 0.62 homicide rate
Denmark 1.01 homicide rate
Sweden 1.08 homicide rate

Switzerland is another good example similar to the Czech Republic, with their homicide rate also equal to the Netherlands, at 0.59 as well. Let me give one more example, Cyprus, also a high income country. They have a homicide rate of 1.26, which is less than israel at 1.36, Finland at 1.63 and Belgium at 1.70 and the list goes on and on, but no need for me to post more statistics, you can check the facts here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overview_of_gun_laws_by_nation

Lastly, your "gun-related to non-gun related" graph just proves my previous statement, being, that people who have the intention to murder someone, will do it with whatever tool they have. So therefore, like I said before, allowing the good guys to own guns will allow them to stand a better chance against the bad guys.

Nice try & waiting for any new argument, if you can even come up with any.

The entirety of your reply gets debunked by my graphics posted above, a further comment on it is not even required because the images already to the job
There's no god, no saviour, no paradise and no life beyond. Our existence is limited. Nothing will save us from death.  Use your time on earth wisely.
Be kind to others, share your wealth - donate to the poor, protect the environment, use your opportunity every day to make earth a better place.

Offline Nyle

• FightForHonor's Boss
  • Junior Community Member
    YearsYears
  • Group: FightForHonor
  • Ingame: [FFH]Nyle
« Reply #18 on: 13 02, 2021, 06:36:46 pm »
In such troubled times and wars, my personal opinion is that no citizen should have a weapon.
::)

Offline PetroSailor

« Reply #19 on: 14 02, 2021, 02:35:50 am »
I'm not looking at a bunch of pictures posted by a non-US citizen trying to argue his point based on biased US statistics.

More guns = less incentive to commit a crime.
More guns = higher chance of being shot while committing a crime.
More guns = safer communities
More guns = less chance of a tyrannical government or at least a decent chance at fighting back

The sanity argument is bullshit, similar to the rape abortion argument. Legitimate shootings (not orchestrated by the government) rarely ever happen.
US having the most shootings is also obviously going to happen considering it's population.

Also the "I will just kill the robber" solution is just so stupid. You can't just take someone's life because he robs you, holy shit do we live in middle ages or smth? Just let him take whatever he wants from your house and call the police. There are several coverages that can even replace every single item that has been stolen from you.

Who said you have to kill the robber? If a gun was pointed at my face while robbing someone's home or store, I'd leave immediately. Also who said the robber was a man? That's sexist. Not only that, if you've ever spoken to someone in the US who had something robbed from them, especially from their home, they'll tell you they received little no nothing in return from the police or their insurance company (if they even had insurance). The police have bigger fish to fry, like homicides and large scale robberies.

If the US gov wants to take guns from people, a civil war will ensue. There's no way around it.

If the US gov bans the purchasing of guns, or enforces more strict gun ownership laws, criminals will still get them just as easily. Believe it or not, criminals don't obey the law.

In such troubled times and wars, my personal opinion is that no citizen should have a weapon.

You don't know anything about wars, or guns, or troubled times. Guns are the most important entity you should own during any semi-hostile environment.

I've owned and been shooting guns since I was 12 years old. My family and everyone in my home state has done the same. Nothing even remotely negative has happened with our relationships with firearms. Drugged up, city gang bangers shooting each other in the head because they're wearing a different color than themselves is another situation I'd be happy to enlighten you all about.

Offline Denos

• Retired CIT Staff & Head State Official
  • Former Head State Official (2016-2020)
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: TSF
  • Ingame: Denos
« Reply #20 on: 14 02, 2021, 05:08:57 am »
I'm not looking at a bunch of pictures posted by a non-US citizen trying to argue his point based on biased US statistics.

More guns = less chance of a tyrannical government or at least a decent chance at fighting back

The sanity argument is bullshit, similar to the rape abortion argument. Legitimate shootings (not orchestrated by the government) rarely ever happen.
US having the most shootings is also obviously going to happen considering it's population.

Who said you have to kill the robber? If a gun was pointed at my face while robbing someone's home or store, I'd leave immediately. Also who said the robber was a man? That's sexist. Not only that, if you've ever spoken to someone in the US who had something robbed from them, especially from their home, they'll tell you they received little no nothing in return from the police or their insurance company (if they even had insurance). The police have bigger fish to fry, like homicides and large scale robberies.

If the US gov wants to take guns from people, a civil war will ensue. There's no way around it.

If the US gov bans the purchasing of guns, or enforces more strict gun ownership laws, criminals will still get them just as easily. Believe it or not, criminals don't obey the law.

You don't know anything about wars, or guns, or troubled times. Guns are the most important entity you should own during any semi-hostile environment.

I've owned and been shooting guns since I was 12 years old. My family and everyone in my home state has done the same. Nothing even remotely negative has happened with our relationships with firearms. Drugged up, city gang bangers shooting each other in the head because they're wearing a different color than themselves is another situation I'd be happy to enlighten you all about.

Show content
I stand with Goku & Coolit. Gave years of their lives to keep CIT active and happy. Screwed over and unjustly kicked.

Offline Dimit

• USNS Leader
  • USHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #21 on: 14 02, 2021, 06:49:28 am »

All graphics provided by me prove each letter in your post wrong
Like, I dont even have to add any text, there is nothing to be said because the images above literally do the job by themselves

You keep trying to justify gun ownership while all graphs and statistics obviously prove that your country is totally out of control with gun violence and how your people are dying like ants because of it

Offline OhhKarim

• Players of the Gold
« Reply #22 on: 14 02, 2021, 09:58:03 am »
As a board moderator of the debate board, Dimit should know that posting stuff like "just check my graph lulz ez" is not debating, it's a useless reply as it doesn't add any value to the debate.

I already explained to him that his graphs are from 2010 which are very outdated, as countries such as the Czech Republic was the 2nd highest on his graph in 2010, yet when I checked recent statistics from 2017 it has been way lower than many other higher-developed countries. Secondly, he keeps cherry picking certain countries to try to fit his narrative. I stumbled across a site that took the words right out of my mouth regrading that statement, so in stead of writing it twice, you can read it here;

Much of the political thinking about violence in the United States comes from unfavorable comparisons between the United States and a series of cherry-picked countries with lower murder rates and with fewer guns per capita. We’ve all seen it many times. The United States, with a murder rate of approximately 5 per 100,000 is compared to a variety of Western and Central European countries (also sometimes Japan) with murder rates often below 1 per 100,000. This is, in turn, supposed to fill Americans with a sense of shame and illustrate that the United States should be regarded as some sort of pariah nation because of its murder rate.

Note, however, that these comparisons always employ a carefully selected list of countries, most of which are very unlike the United States. They are  countries that were settled long ago by the dominant ethnic group, they are ethnically non-diverse today, they are frequently very small countries (such as Norway, with a population of 5 million) with very locally based democracies (again, unlike the US with an immense population and far fewer representatives in government per voter). Politically, historically, and demographically, the US has little in common with Europe or Japan.

Prejudice about the "Developed World" vs "the Third World"

But these are the only countries the US shall be compared to, we are told, because the US shall only be compared to “developed” countries when analyzing its murder rate and gun ownership.
And yet, no reason for this is ever given. What is the criteria for deciding that the United States shall be compared to Luxembourg but not to Mexico, which has far more in common with the US than Luxembourg in terms of size, history, ethnic diversity, and geography?

Offline Nikos

• The Helper & Bikers Leader
  • Honorable
  • Perfected noob
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Bikers
  • Ingame: Nikos
  • Squad: NoodleLovers
« Reply #23 on: 14 02, 2021, 11:03:12 am »
As a board moderator of the debate board, Dimit should know that posting stuff like "just check my graph lulz ez" is not debating, it's a useless reply as it doesn't add any value to the debate.

I already explained to him that his graphs are from 2010 which are very outdated, as countries such as the Czech Republic was the 2nd highest on his graph in 2010, yet when I checked recent statistics from 2017 it has been way lower than many other higher-developed countries. Secondly, he keeps cherry picking certain countries to try to fit his narrative. I stumbled across a site that took the words right out of my mouth regrading that statement, so in stead of writing it twice, you can read it here;
I mean if Americans themselves want to compare with the favelas of Brazil and Columbia about the firearm related death rate just to excuse their gun violence then ok but don't expect anyone to get you seriously after doing that lol.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Offline DeathWish

• Regular Community Member
  • All limitations are self-imposed.
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
  • Group: Ineffables
  • Ingame: DeathWish
  • Squad: Cupcakes
« Reply #24 on: 14 02, 2021, 12:29:11 pm »

I've owned and been shooting guns since I was 12 years old. My family and everyone in my home state have done the same. Nothing even remotely negative has happened with our relationships with firearms. Drugged up, city gang bangers shooting each other in the head because they're wearing a different color than themselves is another situation I'd be happy to enlighten you all about.

Nice.

According to this 82 guns that were involved in the mass shootings were obtained legally in the US now process that and think what if citizens weren't allowed to have a gun? America would've had 82 fewer mass shootings but you know fuck those people who died in those 82 mass shootings lets blame Video games

Also, According to a survey by the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics that was made in 2004 (because apparently they don't do that anymore I wonder why) 48% of prisoners who were inside the prison for gun-related crimes obtained the gun legally while 40% obtained it legally (12% were determined as unknown) but sure let say 52% illegally 48% legally does that sound reasonable? do you think that it's reasonable that almost half the people in prison in 2004 were inside because of gun-related crimes obtained the gun legally? imagine if there were harder process to own a gun that needed certification or a job that required a gun I'd say at least 50% of those who obtained the gun legally wouldn't have committed crimes

Okay okay let's forget all of that you say America is a safe place because citizens have easy access to guns
then explain this please https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/homicide-rates-from-firearms
This graph shows that America is the ONLY first world country with Homicide rates from firearms above 4 per 100k people the rest are poor third world countries but the sad part there are 3rd wold countries that have fewer Homicide rates from firearms than America JOKE

@OhhKarim if after seeing this graph above you still believe that allowing citizens to have guns is better you are a lost cause with everyone who thinks that as well

Offline Dimit

• USNS Leader
  • USHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #25 on: 14 02, 2021, 01:21:12 pm »

All graphics provided in my post above are a direct response to each paragraph of your post and simple enough that even a 1st grader can understand them, they are facts and not something that can be debated like an "opinion" and they do not require any further comments or explanation to be understood because that would just be unneccessary text, or as you call it, text without value
All data in the graphics is valid for the current date, not cherry picked and representative
You keep trying to convince people of something which is simply wrong and all data and logical arguments speak against your theory

These 6 images debunk any of yours, denos and petrosailors attempts to make it look like firearm ownership is a good thing while in reality, it turns the US is even a more deadly warzone than Iraq or Afghanistan and the only country you managed to compare the US to in favour of your argument is brazil, the country where a large part of the population earns their money off of armed robberies

Btw interesting source of your quote
The Mises Institute has been criticized by some libertarians for the paleolibertarian and right-wing cultural views of some of its leading figures, on topics such as race, immigration, and the presidential campaigns of Donald Trump.

It is a common thing for trump supporters to deny data and facts but dont complain afterwards that noone gave you the chance to look at real numbers

Offline OhhKarim

• Players of the Gold
« Reply #26 on: 15 02, 2021, 11:14:07 am »
According to this 82 guns that were involved in the mass shootings were obtained legally in the US now process that and think what if citizens weren't allowed to have a gun? America would've had 82 fewer mass shootings but you know fuck those people who died in those 82 mass shootings lets blame Video games

Classic fallacy, this just shows that I am talking to a person who lives in a disney world. How can you claim that those shooting wouldn't have happened if those people didn't get their weapons legally? Do you not realize that the majority of gun-related killings are done with illegal weapons? How did those shooting happen if they didn't get their weapons legally? Oh, let me explain to you; Because criminals do not care about the law, and anyone who has the intention to kill, will do it with whatever tool they have, and they will get the tool illegally if they can't get it legally.

Also, According to a survey by the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics that was made in 2004 (because apparently they don't do that anymore I wonder why) 48% of prisoners who were inside the prison for gun-related crimes obtained the gun legally while 40% obtained it legally (12% were determined as unknown) but sure let say 52% illegally 48% legally does that sound reasonable? do you think that it's reasonable that almost half the people in prison in 2004 were inside because of gun-related crimes obtained the gun legally?

What up with you and Dimit continuously using out-dated sources? Using statistics from 2004, really? Let me show you the updated ones. First of all your statement is wrong that the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics don't publish any new surveys because I found a survey from 2016 which was posted in 2019 on their official website. Here it is: https://www.ojp.gov/library/abstracts/source-and-use-firearms-involved-crimes-survey-prison-inmates-2016

Among the estimated 287,400 prisoners who had possessed a firearm during their offenses, 56 percent had either stolen it (6 percent), found it at the scene of the crime (7 percent), or obtained it off the street or from the underground market (43 percent). Most of the remainder (25 percent) had obtained it from a family member or friend; 7 percent had purchased it under their own name from a licensed firearm dealer. About one in five prisoners who possessed a firearm during their offense obtained it with the intent of using it during the crime

So lets see;

From 56% of them:

- (6%) stole it (6%) = illegally obtained
- (7%) found it at the scene, means they also stole it = illegally obtained
- (43%) bought it on the street or from an underground market = illegally obtained

From most of the remainders:

25% got it from a friend or family member, so it's not under their name = illegally obtained
7% bought it under their name, from a licensed firearm dealer = legally obtained

This shows that only 7 out of 100 guns were legally obtained.

imagine if there were harder process to own a gun that needed certification or a job that required a gun I'd say at least 50% of those who obtained the gun legally wouldn't have committed crimes

Again this statement is a fallacy, which I already talked about it my first statement.

Okay okay let's forget all of that you say America is a safe place because citizens have easy access to guns
then explain this please https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/homicide-rates-from-firearms
This graph shows that America is the ONLY first world country with Homicide rates from firearms above 4 per 100k people the rest are poor third world countries but the sad part there are 3rd wold countries that have fewer Homicide rates from firearms than America JOKE

First of all, typical confirmation bias which just proves I am talking to a brick wall.

You keep cherry picking to try to fit your narrative, to try to confirm your biased view. Firstly by using a cherry-picked statistics that only relies on the gun-related homicides. Obviously the gun related homicides will be higher if there are more guns in the country, even a toddler can figure that out. The thing I am talking about, is that having more guns does not mean a less safe environment, rather a more safe one, because you are on an equal pedestal with the criminal. Rather than fighting with your fists or knife against someone who has a gun, you can fight with a gun too, and have a better chance at survival which even a toddler can understand.

I even proved the thing about homicide rates, when I showed that the Czech Republic, has relaxed gun laws, yet it has way lower homicide rates compared to many other high-income 1st world countries who actually do not allow weapons to be owned by citizens. So your argument was already debunked long ago.

Offline Dimit

• USNS Leader
  • USHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #27 on: 15 02, 2021, 01:33:23 pm »

I even proved the thing about homicide rates, when I showed that the Czech Republic, has relaxed gun laws, yet it has way lower homicide rates compared to many other high-income 1st world countries who actually do not allow weapons to be owned by citizens. So your argument was already debunked long ago.
How many times will you keep repeating that same, senseless czech republic argument, there is not even anything special/different about that country that would support your point

27 posts on this topic already and there is still not any number that supports your argument and instead of giving us any proof on your argument, you spend 90% of the space here telling us that all of our data are biased and taken out of context

This shows that only 7 out of 100 guns were legally obtained.
? and how does that matter ?

Offline domi

• New Community Member
  • Chilling somewhere in Europe
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
« Reply #28 on: 15 02, 2021, 01:58:53 pm »
Dimit, it would be interesting if you showed a graph involving Latin America where gun ownership is strictly controlled.. We would see very interesting homicide rates.

In Latin America, criminals easily get guns (because they do illegal things, duh), but civilians have a tougher time obtaining firearm to defend themselves. Along with govt corruption, it's one of the reasons why criminals basically rule these nations.
« Last Edit: 15 02, 2021, 02:00:29 pm by domi »
Peace

Offline OhhKarim

• Players of the Gold
« Reply #29 on: 15 02, 2021, 09:46:40 pm »
How many times will you keep repeating that same, senseless czech republic argument, there is not even anything special/different about that country that would support your point

27 posts on this topic already and there is still not any number that supports your argument and instead of giving us any proof on your argument, you spend 90% of the space here telling us that all of our data are biased and taken out of context

Again Dimit using "firearm deaths" per 100k people rather than homicide rates perk 100k people. Czech Republic & Cyprus, both having very relaxed weapon laws, are from the lowest homicide rates in Europe regardless of the fact that a lot of other European countries do not allow weapons to citizens.

? and how does that matter ?

It shows that people will get guns regardless if its legal or not, criminals don't care about the law, if they have the intention to kill, they will get the weapons via any means, even it's illegal. And the graph above proves that even if guns are illegal to citizens, the homicide rates can still be high as criminals will use any tools to kill, whether that would be a knife, a crowbar, etc. Without giving guns to the good guys (law abiding citizens), those citizens will not stand a chance against someone with a gun.